Bob Says for December 2022
2022 was another good year as we added several new members and activity in general was on par with previous years. Our Monday flying sessions generally had 6 to 10+ members and we are averaging 2 to 3 flying dates a month. Two sessions a month seems to be the sweet spot for decent attendance. So we will continue to schedule 2 sessions a month and add dates here and there base upon member interest. Let’s keep it going.
Once again Ferdinand and Arthur joined by Curtis (this year) have been handling site setup/break down with myself as backup when required. Please continue to assist them with setup & break down of the site perimeter as required. This is greatly appreciated by the field safety and setup crew.
Special thanks to our web editor in chief Steve B. for all the work he does maintaining the Skimmer web site. If you have any suggestion for the site or wish to help out with a monthly or quarter Skimmers new letter please contact Steve or myself.
- I would like to ask all members to please take a moment to visit the club web site at www.powayskimmers.org and review club and Lake Poway rules/guidelines that we all must follow when at the lake .
- Please note that anything we operate on water or in the air must be buoyant even if swamped with water. While this is generally not a problem for our foam/wood models some of the fiberglass planes and/or boat may/will need some help with the addition of foam or internal floatation tanks. Again all models should be buoyant enough to be retrieved from the lake even if swamped with water (it should not sink). I suggest all boats be stuffed with foam as hatches can come off filling boat with water. Secure/attach hatches with string to boat if they will not float by themselves also.
- A few members have asked about buoys for boat racing course and trying to organize some unofficially races. This is all doable but we would need someone (or several people) to step up and organize the boaters. We can add events to calendar, email-blast members and even setup a section on the web site for this activity. But we would need some organizers to oversee this activity.
- Steve is always looking for content for our web site. So if you have something of interest please pass it along. Note content or topics are not restricted to Lake Poway activities.
- As stated in the club rules and by agreement with Poway we are granted access/use of the lake on the listed Mondays and at stated times 1-4pm (after site setup). The club and its members are not permitted use of the lake for RC activities at any other times. Poway park staff has noted people using lake for RC activities at other times (sometimes stating they are with the Skimmers). We have clarified/assured them that this usage of the lake is not authorized and/or associated with the club and its members. Members caught breaking our usage agreement with the city will have their membership revoked.
Lastly by club policy free advise (usually good, on any topic) is still available in the pit area without an appointment on a walk by or sit-down basis. Warning, advise is often offered without prior request.
See you at the lake in 2023